The Committee of Heads of Environmental Sciences (CHES) is the collective voice of the environmental sciences and related disciplines in higher and further education. Founded in 1991, CHES plays a leading role in the Higher and Further Education environmental science communities, representing member interests and lobbying on their behalf.
CHES is an active networking organisation and serves to enhance the quality of outcomes for all colleagues and institutions throughout environmental education. We aim to facilitate cooperation and collaboration between relevant bodies within the UK and internationally.
In 2012 CHES mereged with the Institution of Environmental Sciences (IES) and is now the education committee of the IES.
- The representative organisation for institutions delivering education in environmental science and its related fields
- Ensuring positive outcomes for all environmental science providers, and highlighting opportunities for advancement
- Providing the leading accreditation scheme for environmental science higher education degree programmes
- Facilitating connections between member institutions and developing new avenues of international co-operation within the environmental science community
- Coordinating between member institutions and linking with relevant professional bodies
There are 44 university and further education departments making up the membership of CHES. Our accreditation scheme covers 77 individual degree programmes across 27 of our member institutions. New members are welcome, and are not restricted to the Higher Education, nor environmental sciences. Please refer to our membership pages for details.
CHES Executive Committee
The business of CHES is managed by an Executive Committee. New members are elected each year at the AGM and Executive positions are normally held for three years.
|Name||University/Organisation||Position on CHES|
|Dr Heather Barrett-Mold|
|Dr Sarah-Jane Davies||The Open University||Vice Chair|
|Mr Adam Donnan||Institution of Environmental Sciences||Honorary Treasurer|
|Prof. Robert Duck||University of Dundee|
|Dr Liz Price||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Dr Diane Purchase||Middlesex University||Honorary Secretary|
|Dr Jackie Rogers
||University of West England|
|Dr Peter Shaw||University of Southampton|
|Mr Nick Walton||University of Portsmouth|
|Prof. Phil Wheater||Manchester Metropolitan University||Chair|